CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 4, 2010

We finally finished a project!

This is a table I bought at a garage sale for $25. I wanted an outdoor table and couldn't find one I liked for the price, so I figured I would just redo this one. It was in a lot better shape when I bought it, but it spent a summer outside on our patio before I got around to putting outdoor stain on it.
We took it apart, stripped it, sanded it, stained it, did it wrong (left way too much stain on so it was gummy), stripped it again, sanded it again, stained it properly (with deck, fence and furniture stain, wiping off the excess), tried a second coat that wouldn't stick (waterproofing maybe?) and then Jess' parents came and Grandma put two coats of the outdoor version of varathane on it.

It was a lot of work, and maybe cost equivalent to buying a table already outdoor ready, but it looks good, right? Our first meal outside. I love it!

5 comments:

Happy said...

Wow, way to go, it looks great! That does sound like a lot of work, but I bet you learned a ton and could do it really quickly next time. And you can look at that table and feel proud of your accomplishment!

The Addams Family said...

I think it looks great! Way to go! By the way, I have that same top you're wearing. Gotta love Target!

The State of Our Family said...

IMPRESSIVE! I think it's so cool to take something ordinary and turn it into something extraordinary! Awesome job!

Lana said...

I like seeing the pic of the family we miss you

The Holmgrens said...

It's beautiful. I try to be handy and do things myself, but I always end up regretting it. Maybe I just need to get some advice from you first. Like the table in my dinning room, it has dents from moving, and I really like to fix them. Is there a way to just touch it up, or do I have to do the whole strip it thing?