CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 21, 2011

A First

So apparently I experienced my first earthquake tonight! I was sitting downstairs folding laundry, watching TV and holding Simon, (I know multi tasking much?!) when I felt a huge bump. It seemed like someone upstairs dropped something really heavy causing the house to bounce a little. Strange. I even went to investigate, thinking someone might've fallen out of bed, but all of my sweeties were snug in their beds. I had a 'what if' thought in passing, but then I went back to my laundry folding and TV watching. When Jess got home we were talking about it. Apparently there were two earthquakes today. One around 2:40 and then the one at 8:16. We weren't aware of the first one because we were walking at that time. Someone told Jess that you don't feel them if you are walking. I'm not sure of the science or truth on that one, but we didn't feel the first one, so maybe it's true. I feel like I need to get things a little more prepared around here, and learn a little more about earthquake safety. We do have two cases of bottled water though! That should hold 7 people, what, two days?! OK, yeah, add earthquake prep to my to do list. :)

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Even though I grew up in the Bay Area and experienced earthquakes often, I'm still scared of them! In fact yesterday, there was a 4.8 earthquake here in San Antonio! Strangely, we didn't feel it. I still remember where I was and what I was doing during the Loma Prieta quake in 1989. I'd say the most important things to have on hand are lanterns, flashlights, and lots of extra batteries! But I'm sure you guys know all about being prepared since you just left Florida and all the hurricanes!

Happy said...

Crazy! I experienced one mild one when I was on my mission in Norway. I thought it was the just something like a washing machine making our little apartment vibrate for a few seconds, and found out later from someone that it was an earthquake. Big blessings that our experiences were so mild that we didn't even realize what was going on! Good idea on the earthquake preparedness research!