CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Party of 6

On Wednesday night, Summer and I sat down and watched a little food network before I started making dinner. The Barefoot Contessa was on and she was making some amazing Italian dishes on the grill. Bruschetta, a salad with Fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumbers and grilled veggies. By the time the show was over, we were both salivating over the dishes that she had made. I got up to decide what to make for dinner, and we had no fresh produce, no fresh mozzarella, no thawed meat-nothing. I decided to pack the kids up and take them to an Italian restaurant that wasn't too far away. I figured that Jess could meet us there as it was on his way home. Now, any of you who know me well, know that I don't like to go out to dinner with the kids unless it's for the early bird special. Anything later, and it's like trying to contain 4-6 wild, ravenous beasts (myself included) while we wait for our food (that is usually sub-par). I mostly feel I can make something better, faster, and with out trying to maintain my dignity and sanity in public with 4 hungry kids all while the elderly of the world look on. I was desperate for good Italian food. The place we went was really good. I ordered appetizers before we even sat down to pacify us all while we waited for our meals. The caprese appetizer was by far the highlight of the meal for me. For the kids, it was the battery powered candle on the table. We ordered too much food, and it was all delicious! I took the two little ones home with me, and Jess waited for the bill. When he got home, I asked him what the total was. He told me a number that was higher than I was expecting, so I assumed he was joking. A little later, I picked up the copy of the receipt that was on the counter. As I examined it, trying to decide why it was so much higher, I noticed that they had automatically added a 20% gratuity onto our check, and then Jess, not noticing that it had been added, put a tip on the bill when he signed it. What?! Why would they do that? I decided that I was going to call them the next day and find out if that was their policy. When I called, the owner answered the phone. When I asked him if it was standard to automatically add gratuity onto checks at their restaurant, he told me that on parties of 6 or more, that was standard. That as if 6 entrees are entered into the computer it automatically adds it on. I then asked him, even on families. I explained that I was there the night prior with my 4 kids and husband and gratuity was automatically added to our bill and the waiter was tipped twice. He told me that the server should have told us about that, and to bring our bill in and he would refund the extra money. I was happy with that solution. But seriously? Our family is large enough to fall into that category? Our "party" is so big we are in the "gratuity is automatically added" category? I wonder if it was happened before and we never thought to check for it. Crazy! 6 is all it takes now.

3 comments:

Happy said...

Haha, pretty funny! Makes me think back to the single days when it took a whole lot of us going out together for that to happen!

Ronnie and Suzi said...

Who'd of thought!? Wow! Glad they were nice about it at least. And PS...now I want Italian food, great!

TLC Moments said...

Kelli, that happened to us. 18% added to our checks if there are more than 7. And since there were more then 7, both families got the percentage added!! Needless to say, I was pretty furious, but we have decided that Sushi from there will be for lunch only!! LOL It really stinks!!!!