CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 5, 2008

How do you bounce back so quickly?

I took the kids to see "Horton Hears A Who" Yesterday, and it was so fun. The theater had these booster seats for the kids that had seat belts on them. Matthew sat through 2/3 of the movie in his own seat gobbling up popcorn and saying "uh oh" & "wow" at all of the right places. I was loving watching my kids enjoy their popcorn and belly laughing as they pleased. It was a great "Mom" moment. Even though it was one of the better movie experiences that we have had, it was still one of the more crazy and unsettling outing I have had. Why you ask? Here it is...
In my mind, there are certain things that are socially acceptable and things that are not. The rules are different for Women and Men, and different still in mixed company. Where am I going with this? You'll see. There was another group walking up to the ticket window as we were. I stood back and allowed this man and his 3 kids to purchase their tickets first. His two daughters, probably 8 & 11 were extremely friendly, asking my kids their names, shaking their hands (I know, right?!), and asking a few other questions. As I was paying for our tickets, the man (from off to the side) hollered, "$20.50" trying to tell me what my total was going to be. He was wrong, by the way. It was $15.50, matinee. Anyways, I found myself thinking that he was an odd man, and paid for our tickets. When I looked up to open the door he was standing there, holding it open for us, claiming that it was even heavy for him to open. Now as a side note, I know that the theater likes its patrons, even wants to see them back a time or two. If the door was so heavy that a grown man has trouble with it, what is a poor and defenseless woman like myself to do? Are you feeling the creepiness now? His "Psych Ward" T shirt wasn't helping him either. Moving on. Since we were almost 20 minutes early, we looked around at the upcoming movie posters rather than jump right into the popcorn "line." We were the only patrons there, and I had no desire to stand in line behind Mr. Friendly. By the way, I'm not being mean to a poor guy who is just trying to be nice, but listening to my gut that is saying, "keep your distance." While we were perusing the posters, the guy calls over to me,"are they all yours?" I get this a lot (I never thought 3 was that many), and I didn't see where he was going, and I nod yes. He then says,"wow, how do you bounce back so fast?" Now, I don't care if a woman has 15 kids and looks like Jessica Rabbit (which I very much do NOT look like Jessica Rabbit), it's just not done! Mr. Friendly has now moved to Mr. Creepy. We look around a little more, my kids are begging me to get their popcorn and go sit down. I finally agree and we pay an exorbitant amount for popcorn and drinks and make our way into the theater. Imagine my dismay to find that Mr. Creepy and his kids are seeing the same movie. He invited us to sit with them. He could sit on one end and block the isle and I could block the other. I don't think so. Red Flag! We opted to sit in the very back row, partly so I could take Matthew out if need be, and partly to be as far from "Creepy" as possible. He made the attempt to talk to us a little more, but by this time, I was done acknowledging him. I was grateful that the theater began to fill up a little. I don't know if I could have handled it if we were the only ones in there. As an FYI, he turned his over friendly ways onto some of the other women in there, offering to fetch them boosters for their kids and such. After the movie, we headed straight for the car. I felt a little better once my kids & I were safely buckled into our locked car. I decided to take the kids to Chick-Fil-A for a bite to eat. We always sit in the play area and the kids have a great time. The kids were playing while I was finishing up my brownie when my stomach dropped to my feet. In walks Mr Creepy and his kids. In my mind, I'm thinking that there are two things that could have happened here. #1- we are only about a two mile from the theater and they had a hankering for Chick-Fil-A, too. #2- He recognized my car in the parking lot and decided to stop. I really didn't care which it was. I was so glad that we were done eating. I quickly cleaned up our area and fetched my kids off of the slides. They did not want to go and wanted to know where we were going. I told them it was a surprise. I'm not going to advertise that information. I called Maggie because I was nervous and wanted someone on the line with me. Right as we were ready to leave, she had to get off the phone and take care of her baby. I called my Mom because I figured he was less likely to talk to me if I was on the phone. We left, and I had my Mom write down his license plate number, just in case. I turn the opposite way from home and feel a little better. I made sure that I didn't see any cars like his as I was on my way. As I was pulling into my neighborhood, I was talking to Maggie and was relieved to stealthily pull into my garage and close the door. Summer saw where we were and said, "Aw, home is the surprise? I don't want this surprise!" I laughed and offered ice cream, which was a accepted. As I was getting the kids out of the car, my heart stopped, literally stopped. I couldn't find my purse! I never forget my purse, but I couldn't find it. In my haste to leave, I must have walked out without it. Now I was getting panicky, I load everyone back into the car and head back to the restaurant. I said a quick prayer for protection and a safe outcome. All I can think of is that Mr.Good Samaritan has picked up my purse for me with the intent to return it to my address which is conveniently right on my new Florida drivers license. Oh gosh, what if he knows where I live now. I was able to keep myself in check (I know this because my kids didn't have a clue other than, "Mommy forgot her purse." Maggie is still on the phone with me and begins booting up her computer to look up the restaurant to call them. I was back even before she was able to get the info up on her computer. (no, I didn't speed to much, Jim was downloading) As I pull into the parking lot I again have two thoughts going through head. The first, "Oh my gosh, he's still here." and the second, "That's good, maybe that means he hasn't found my purse, gotten my address and might not attempt a visit." I was relieved to see that there was a police officer already in the restaurant, should I need his services. I also noticed two guys walking in behind me. When I looked at one of the guys the first time, something caught my eye and I looked again, this time closer. He was wearing a police type badge and he had a gun. Seeing that, bolstered my confidence a little and I went in to find the fate of my purse. Chick-Fil-A always has a host type person walking around the restaurant, offering services that might be needed. I walked right up to him, praying that he's the one who found my purse. He was indeed and I felt that wonderful feeling of relief for the third time. He was really nice about it, and made sure to tell me that it was unzipped when he picked it up. It was and I thanked him profusely. I got my kids safely into the car for the third time and made my way home the long way for the second time. It felt good to pull into the garage and close out the outside world. I was safe, and so were my kids. Now some of you might be thinking that I was over reacting. A few years ago, I read a book that had been featured on Oprah called, "Protecting The Gift" by Gavin De Becker. In it he tells numerous stories of women who don't follow their instincts and have harm come to them. He states over and over that we have this for a reason and we should never apologize or feel silly for listening to it. So, this is me not apologizing. Ladies, if you haven't read this book, it is very informative. I would recommend it to anyone.
How am I going to bounce back from this and not be scared to go anywhere? A little bit of TV and dessert safe in my own (rented) home, combined with the knowledge that I listened to my instincts, that's how.

13 comments:

Janet said...

Wow. Way to keep your cool around the kids. Following your gut is a good thing. Sometimes it's nothing, but it could be something.
I have a Mr. Creepy too. Unfortunately he's in our ward so I get to see him look me up and down every Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kelli. Quite the afternoon you had...Did we ever discuss Gavin's (yes, I'm on a first name basis with him!:)) books before? I'm also a big fan of them. I own The Gift of Fear and have given it out to my sister and sister-in-law. I think every woman should read his books. Anyway, kudos to you for tuning in to your instincts!!

Maria said...

You're not in Minot anymore:)

The Schooley's said...

I love that book. I am so glad you are all safe. Instincts are always good to listen to even if we don't know why. I had the chills reading this!!

Nicole said...

Your mom told me about what happened! Scary! No I don't think you can ever be too careful! My gut feeling told me that same creepy feeling at the grocery store to what looked like just a nice older man trying to start up small talk. Later I received my watchdog email only to find out he was a registered sex offender. My heart dropped when I pulled up his picture! For those who don't know about this government site it is www.familywatchdog.us/search.asp and you can click to see pictures after typing in your address. Keep safe!

The Addams Family said...

Oh my gosh. As I was reading your post, my heart was literally pounding! How scary. I bet you about died when you realized you forgot your purse. That's a sickening feeling in and of itself, not to mention the fact that you had to go back and possibly see Mr. Creepy! I'm glad it turned out okay!

Anonymous said...

I was worried about you all night, Kel... I'm glad that you were able to calm down some once you were safe at home. But I never did stop thinking and praying.

Thanks for calling me last night. And I'm glad that I was able to help, even if I couldn't get any pages to load on the computer. Dang those crazy downloads taking up all my bandwidth!!!

wildthayn said...

We named a certain park "Creepy guy park" after the guy who came out to chat every time I took Hannah there. Its very unnerving to be in that situation. I don't think you over reacted at all. Its SO important to listen to those promptings. I'm glad all is well. Was Jess freaking out when you told him about it?

Seth said...

Kelli, I'm glad you all are safe and you shared your story. I don't think at all you over reacted! I heard Oprah talk about the book and completly believe in following your gut. Great job and thanks again for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i was enthralled by your story- it kept me on the edge of my seat!

I love all the pictures- it looks like you are doing great! e have a blog now too, so you can keep tabs on us as well! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Kelli, did it occur to you to alert the theater manager when you first started getting the bad vibes? It's possible that Mr Creepy has exhibited these behaviors there on previous occasions and the manager would recognize him and either ask him to leave (for bothering other patrons) or call the cops.You did the right things, but you still could've gotten hurt. By being pro-active, you might have not only protected yourself, but some other unsuspecting young mother down the line.

Amy said...

That is so freaky. I'm glad everything turned out fine though! You're pretty amazing for keeping your cool!

Amanda said...

I am glad that you followed your gut- no need to be "nice" to creepy men or anybody creepy for that matter. I need to read that book, thanks for sharing.